Case Western Reserve University’s PhD training program in Clinical Psychology has been continuously accredited by the American Psychological Association since February 1, 1948, when the accreditation process first began. Among 165 doctoral programs in clinical psychology, there are only 8 programs that have been accredited as long as the CWRU program.
- 2013 – Our program ranked #4 out of 183 programs on the “emerging professional benchmarks combined” category, as described in the following empirical article: Callahan, J.L., Ruggero, C.J., & Parent, M.C. (2013). Hidden Gems among clinical psychology training programs. Training and Education in Professional Psychology, 7, 278-284.
- 2008 – Our program ranked #20 out of 207 Clinical Psychology Programs by average EPPP Scores.
- 2007 – Our program ranked #18 out of 166 for Clinical Psychology Programs for Faculty Publications, #1 in Ohio
- 2007 – US News and World Report ranked our program #38 out of 124 national universities, #1 in Ohio
Former Notable Faculty:
- E.L. Thorndike – learning theory
- Irving Weiner – editor, Journal of Personality Assessment, president, Society for Personality Assessment
- Dennis Drotar – editor, Journal of Pediatric Psychology
- Milton Strauss – editor, Journal of Abnormal Psychology, Psychological Assessment
- Donald Freedheim – editor, Professional Psychology; Psychotherapy
- George Albee – APA president 1970
Former Notable Students:
- Al Mahrer – well-known for work in Experiential Therapy
- William Glasser – well-known for work in Reality Therapy
- Morris Parloff – part of NIMH Treatment of Depression Collaborative
Of students currently enrolled in our graduate training program (as of 2013/2014):
- 100% belong to professional organizations in psychology (e.g., APA/APAGS, ABCT)
- 100% have had conference presentations accepted
- By the third year of the program, 96% have been authors or co-authors on scholarly articles in psychology
Questions related to the program’s accreditation status should be directed to the Commission on Accreditation.
Office of Program Consultation and Accreditation
American Psychological Association
750 1st Street, NE, Washington, DC 20002
Phone: (202) 336-5979